The original and official compactmotorsports.

Due to unavoidable circumstances

Monday, October 29, 2012

Jazeman Jaafar Weighing His Options


(Motorsport News) Friday, 26th October 2012


JAZEMAN JAAFAR SAMPLES NEW RENAULT WORLD SERIES CAR IN BARCELONA

Jazeman testint the Formula Renault 3.5 car
Jazeman testing the Formula Renault 3.5 car.
Leading young Malaysian racing driver, Jazeman Jaafar, put in an impressive performance behind the wheel of the new-for-2012 Formula Renault 3.5 car, the car used in the flagship championship of the World Series by Renault race weekends. Jaafar drove one of Carlin’s Formula Renault 3.5 racers in the two day official Series test in Barcelona this week, finishing up sixth quickest on the second day of running, outperforming many of the
2012 crop of regular Formula Renault 3.5 runners.


PETRONAS Talent programme driver, Jaafar, tested the previous Formula Renault 3.5 car last year and this was his drive of the new model car which was introduced for the start of the 2012 season. Jaafar ran with Carlin, the team which he has been driving with for the last three seasons, in British F3.

He said of his first experience of the 2012 car, “It’s a great car to drive: lots of power under the pedal and a very nimble car with excellent road holding, which gives you the confidence to push, alongside some very sharp reactive brakes. Everything comes together as a tight package with excellent aero qualities to produce a stunning race car.”

Of the Barcelona test the 19-year-old racer added, “I spent the first day getting familiar with the car and by the afternoon I was starting to work on developing the set-up. I felt more up-to-speed on the second day and really started to stretch myself and push the limits, so when we put on new tyres I could really make the most of them. Ending up sixth quickest of the day was a really good outcome of a very productive test for me and I’m pleased with the progress I’ve made in understanding the car and benefiting from the 650 bhp, which is a step up from the engine of the British F3 car. “

Jaafar recently closed out his 2012 racing year, finishing Vice Champion in the British F3 Series in a closely fought season-long battle for supremacy which went to the wire at the last round in Donington, UK. Jaafar is now turning his attentions to plans for next year’s racing options, and says, “Over the last three years of British F3 I’ve been able to improve my skills, develop as a driver and mature as a racer; now it’s time to move up the ladder. There are two obvious options, Formula Renault 3.5 and GP2. Over the next few months I’ll be evaluating these and discussing my future plans with PETRONAS and then I hope I’ll be in a position to take the next step in my racing career. “

Jazeman is now heading back to Kuala Lumpur for a quick trip home and media commitments before an intensive training camp and his final race weekend of the season, the Macau Grand Prix.

No comments: